Testing ECUs for vehicle dynamics control
However, it is not always possible or practical to carry out tests on real vehicle components, as test components are often unavailable and critical operating states are difficult to model. As a consequence, companies use hardware-in-the-loop (HiL) systems and the corresponding simulation models of real components for testing. These systems and models enable safe and reproducible tests – including in limit ranges.
The ETAS LABCAR test system offers a complete solution for all types of vehicle ECU tests. With its PC-based simulation target LABCAR-RTPC and its open architecture, this test system can be tailored to every customer need and changing requirements.
The ETAS LABCAR-MODEL-VDYN (Simulation Model of Vehicle Dynamics Behavior for HiL Tests) model simulates the dynamics behavior of a vehicle. It includes the chassis, steering, tires, and trailers as vehicle components, and contains a model of the roadway and its surroundings. In addition, predefined vehicle-dynamics test scenarios are included in delivery. The corresponding brake-hydraulics model LABCAR-MODEL-BKHD can be ordered separately.
By supplementing the model with LABCAR-MODEL-VVTB (Simulation Model of Virtual Vehicle Test Bench for HiL Tests), an ECU can be tested in a virtual road test. Engineers can thus analyze the behavior of an ESP (Electronic Stability Program) ECU in a µ-split driving situation, for instance.
One company to have adopted LABCAR-MODEL-VDYN is Robert Bosch GmbH, which uses it to test vehicle dynamics ECUs.
Typical use cases
- Defining and visualizing driving situations
- Functional development, testing, and initial precalibration of ECUs for vehicle dynamics control, such as ABS (Antilock Braking System), ASR (traction control), EBS (Electronic Braking System), engine drag-torque control, EPS (Electric Power Steering), ESP (Electronic Stability Program), Hill Start Assist, parking brake, and TSA (Trailer Stability Assist)
- Use as component model in whole-vehicle simulation in HiL network
- Supporting homologation
- Robust model that has proven itself in the field for many years
- Comprehensive use thanks to wide range of configuration options
- Easy, customer-specific add-on possibilities by virtue of transparent, open architecture and standardized interfaces
- Easy specification of driving maneuvers and scenarios
- Combinable with the other simulation models in LABCAR-MODEL family
ETAS is a one-stop shop for hardware, software, and models plus engineering services for customization and expert consulting.